Saturday, May 7, 2011

Topshop Lookbook Love



    Topshop Unique S/S '11

    Sometimes a collection comes along that you feel has been specifically designed with you in mind. Obvs, most fashion designers aren’t inspired by me (preeetty sure they don’t know who I am) but this past spring/summer season was like Massimiliano Giornetti at Ferragamo and Karl Lagerfeld at Fendi hacked into my fashion psyche to share my belief that it was about time the 1970s had a comeback. And not the boring been-there-boho thing, but smart seventies suiting instead, to be worn with knee-high mum boots and be fedora-topped and pussy-bow-bloused.


    Jodie Foster and Faye Dunaway

    It’s the decade I’ve been practically campaigning to bring to the fashion fore since I was born. I certainly don’t do '80s (eugh - too flashy), I don’t do '60s (haven’t got the legs), I will occasionally venture in the '50s and '40s but steer a little clear for the fear of being a cringey pastiche. But the seventies, well, for some reason it always works for me. All of my style icons are seventies sirens: Faye Dunaway in Eyes of Laura Mars, the Cagney & Laceygirls, Iris (Jodie Foster) in Taxi Driver, Bianca Jagger (it was such a pleasure to see her still looking so glamorous at the BFAs last month), Lou Lou de la Falaise, Betty Davis, Jane Fonda in 9-5, Jerry Hall, Stevie Nicks, Betty Catroux….


    Enough of my enthusiasm for what’s old – and lets appreciate the what’s new and why the bloody hell I’m harping on about the seventies. It’s all down to Topshop. Trusty Toppers will be my key high street destination now that their new spring/summer collections are dropping online and zooming into stores. Why? Duh! Because they’re doing that seventies thing better than anyone else. And there’s a particularly noticeable (and appreciated) avoidance of such obvious and lazy hippy creations (think Sienna’s tiered maxis and furry gilets circa 2004) that no doubt many shops will adopt simply because the seventies, in general, are this season's key decade of inspiration. Well done TS. You’ve made me a very happy shopping bunny indeed. They’re calling this section of their collection ‘Swedish Summer’ and it’s quite possible that in their downtime, Abba beauties Anni-Frid andAgneta would totes be lounging around the outdoor sauna in such lovely garb, barbequing a Fläskkorv or two (that’s a Swedish sausage BTW). We can see that.


    Two other key collections, ‘Modern Constellation’ and ‘Graduation’ hit some mega high notes when it comes to must-have trends for this fresh season. Super-brights, luxurious sportswear and a new, pared-down but feminine modernity are all be on the Toppers menu. Now, tell me if it’s just me and my obsession, but don’t you see a seventies vibe in each and every line? The midi skirts, portfolio clutches, wooden wedges, palazzo pants…. Someone stop me, because I’m about to spend A LOT of money.

    by Hannah Almassi


    If you like this please follow me and I'll follow you back :) Thank you.
    Source URL: http://nilushae.blogspot.com/2011/05/topshop-lookbook-love.html
    Visit All Fashion Artist for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive